Minister of Public Works and Infrastructure, Patricia de Lille to visit and launch the Salvokop Precinct Development Project in Tshwane
The Department of Public Works and Infrastructure is currently undertaking the installation of bulk and internal infrastructure works at the Salvokop mixed-use precinct project within the ambit of the Tshwane Inner City Regeneration Programme.
The Salvokop mixed-use precinct development includes the construction of five National Government client departments to be permanently accommodated, with the finalisation of the StatsSA head office already achieved in 2016.
The development will see the remaining four government head offices constructed in the precinct: the Department of Social Development and its agencies, the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) and the National Development Agency, the Department of Higher Education and Training, the Department of Home Affairs and the Department of Correctional Services and Constitutional Development.
The precinct will be developed in three phases:
• Phase 1 (A and B): Installation of the bulk and internal infrastructure services and development of the 4 Public Private Partnership (PPP) Head Office Buildings
• Phase 2: Development of the Business Erven by the private sector
• Phase 3: Development of the mixed-income residential component
The development will be a first of its kind for South Africa aimed at achieving spatial integration by bringing government departments to a central location in proximity to economic development and mixed typology residential developments for households and various income streams.
The construction of Phase 1A: Bulk Civil and Internal Engineering works is currently in progress with a number of local residents and SMMEs from the nearby community already employed on the project.
Key benefits of the project to the community and region at large include:
• Economic transformation and job creation: An estimated 3,215 jobs during construction of phase 1:
• Spatial integration, human settlements, and local government: Mixed-use precinct with land use rights in place for Government, Business 1, Institutional and Private open space creating equal access to schooling, housing, work opportunities, transport and recreational facilities
• Social cohesion and safe communities: Contributes to the NDP 2030 and sustainable development goals by responding to the Green Economy with sustainable buildings and precinct design, maximising on solar power, rainwater harvesting, grey water recycling etc. and planting over 700 indigenous trees and establishing public parks.
The Salvokop Precinct Development was also gazetted as a Strategic Integrated Project (SIP) as part of the Infrastructure Investment Plan approved by Cabinet in May 2020.
This project is one of the projects demonstrating government’s commitment to investing in infrastructure development which enables economic growth and job creation and bringing the construction sector back to life.
Minister de Lille will be joined by Minister of Social Development, Lindiwe Zulu and Minister of Home Affairs, Dr Aaron Motsoaledi and other stakeholders to launch the project.
Source: Government of South Africa