Suspect escaped before appearing in court for charges including murder and robbery

NELSPRUIT - Police in Mpumalanga are searching for a male suspect who escaped from lawful custody in the holding cells at Emakhazeni Magistrate's Court on 25 August 2022.

Karabo Chiloane (29) is reported to have been attending court on 25 August 2022 after being initially arrested in connection with murder which occurred at Machadodorp in November 2020, and he was also charged for various charges, including attempted murder, hijacking and business robbery which were carried out in Machadodorp as well.

Police members who were on duty indicated that inmates were reportedly being transported from Middelburg Prison to attend court at Emakhazeni Magistrate's Court at around 09:30. When other inmates were being accompanied to the holding cell by the court orderlies, it is alleged that Chiloane somehow got inside a consultation room next to the holding cell without being noticed.

Later around 10:15 when the court orderlies went to fetch him so that he could appear in court, it was then realised that he had escaped.

A case of escape from lawful custody was immediately opened with an additional charge of aiding an inmate to escape. Police are equally probing circumstances surrounding how Chiloane managed to escape meanwhile police are still in pursuit of him.

Preliminary investigation has since revealed that a padlock at one of the burglar doors was missing immediately after it was realised that he made his way to an undue freedom.

Police are appealing to members of the public, including families of the suspect to assist with information that may lead to his rearrest to call the Crime Stop number at 08600 10111. Alternatively members of the public can send information via MySAPS App. All received information will be treated as confidential and callers may opt to remain anonymous.

The Provincial Commissioner of the SAPS in Mpumalanga, Lieutenant General Semakaleng Daphney Manamela has strongly condemned the escape of the suspect and called for his rearrest.

Source: South African Police Service