NELSPRUIT - The Provincial Commissioner of the SAPS in Mpumalanga, Lieutenant General Semakaleng Daphney Manamela has warned members of the public to take precaution during this winter period so as to prevent the loss of life. The warning by the General comes in a wake of low weather temperatures which drives members of the public to seek alternatives and ways to get warm whilst in the midst of the load sheading situation experienced in the country.
During winter seasons, accidental deaths due to fire and other causes are sadly experienced where most of the victims are unfortunately children. As temperatures drop, people resort to various options to warm themselves. At times, some of the practices are hazardous more especially when used by children without adult supervision. This could be a recipe for disaster, resulting in fatal accidents. Recently, on 15 June 2022 a two-year-old boy became a victim of such an incident at Daggakraal.
It is alleged that on that fateful day the child pulled a kettle with hot water inside. He was taken to a local clinic thereafter and later transferred to Rob Ferreira Hospital in Nelspruit where he unfortunately succumbed to his injuries. An inquest case was opened.
The Provincial Commissioner of the SAPS in Mpumalanga, Lieutenant General Semakaleng Daphney Manamela has therefore urged members of the public to take a serious consideration whenever they use appliances such as gas stoves, paraffin stoves, heaters, candles, home-made fires (mbhawula) and all other utensils in an effort to get warm during this cold season. "It is on each parent's shoulder to be vigilant, more so that the children are on school holidays. We plead with parents as well as guardians to look after their kids, including those children that visited their relatives and family friends. Adults need to care for these young ones. Let us also make sure that they play in safe places and avoid playing near pools, holes, open drains or next to the roads" warned the General.
Source: South African Police Service