The National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) has reported that at least 4 344 new COVID-19 cases have been detected over the past 24 hour reporting period.
This represents a positivity rate of some 20.34% and brings the cumulative number of infections to at least 3 891 793.
The provincial breakdown of new cases is as follows:
• Gauteng new cases 1 897;
• Western Cape in second with at least 884;
• Some 839 new cases have been reported in KwaZulu-Natal;
• The Free State reports 188 new cases;
• The Eastern Cape has 162 new cases;
• In Mpumalanga, some 124 new cases have been recorded;
• At least 113 more new cases are reported in the North West;
• The Northern Cape reported some 111 new cases; and
• Limpopo reported the least new cases at 26.
Two more deaths as a result of COVID-19 infection have been reported bringing the cumulative total to some 100 755.
Meanwhile, the National Health Department reports that 3 638 more COVID-19 vaccines were administered over the past 24 hours.
Some 35 441 399 jabs have been administered since the rollout of the vaccine began.
Source: South African Government News Agency